You could say that there are two conflicting ideas out there as far as what types of people a swinging single should be looking to date. On the one hand, opposites can definitely attract, and dating wildly different from yourself can be one way to get some excitement into your life.
On the other hand, though, it’s difficult to impossible to establish a foundation for a lasting relationship without the right things in common, including crucial touchpoints like life goals and interests. But how similar is too similar, and is it really a good thing to seek out a sugar daddy who’s exactly like you?
The Case for Dating Someone Similar
It’s honestly not that hard to see why a sugar baby or anyone else would probably prefer to date a sugar daddy who’s basically her in pants. When you’re a lot like your partner, things definitely tend to be less complicated, especially if the ultimate goal is a forever relationship, children, or anything else permanent.
- You can actually have mutually fulfilling discussions on hot-button topics like politics or religion, as you’re more likely to have views that are compatible, if not exactly the same.
- Sugar babies and sugar daddies who are more alike often argue less, as there’s just a lot less to disagree on in the first place.
- The more alike someone is, the more likely they are to want the same things out of life (and out of a relationship) you do.
- You can share your favorite pastimes with your partner instead always having to find someone else to do things with.
- Neither of you will constantly feel like you’re having to sacrifice or compromise more than you really want to.
The Case for Dating Someone Different
Of course, there are also advantages to adopting an “opposites attract” approach to sugaring and going out on a limb with a sugar daddy cut from completely different cloth. Here are some of the ones most often cited by sugar babies who prefer it.
- Dating a sugar daddy who’s different can open your world up and expose you to values, pastimes, and interests you might never have considered before.
- Differing temperaments and points of view can help balance two people in a relationship. For example, a more relaxed partner can help temper one who’s naturally anxious.
- Dating someone very different can keep life (and your relationship) interesting, especially if you like to shake things up.
- Dating a sugar daddy who’s different gives a sugar baby the opportunity to learn something new about life or people in general.
- Partnering with someone who’s not just like you can teach you a few things about yourself, as well.
When Might One Option Be Better Than the Other?
Naturally, there’s no one answer that’s going to be the right one for every sugar baby. Here are some key questions to ask yourself to figure out which option is the best one for you.
What type of relationship are you looking for?
If you’re like many sugar daters, there’s a good possibility that you’re not looking for anything serious, at least right now. The more casual your approach to dating and the less you expect from anyone in particular right now, the more leeway you have to experiment and the more fun you might have dating a daddy who’s very different from you.
But a sugar baby in search of a traditional relationship with someone she can build a life with may want to opt for someone more similar to herself.
What’s your relationship history like?
Most sugar babies have been dating long enough to have noticed a pattern or two developing when it comes to their love lives. So what you need to determine is whether your pattern is working for you.
For example, do you normally gravitate toward daddies who are exactly like you and like all the same things you like? Has that been working out well for you so far? If so, don’t feel the need to change your approach because someone else told you that’s the wrong way to do things. They don’t have to live your life. You do.
What phase of life are you in?
Most people don’t necessarily maintain the same approach to dating their entire lives, especially when they’re young, as most sugar babies tend to be. In fact, many people like to deliberately experiment as a way of figuring out what they do and don’t want out of a future relationship.
If that’s something you’re looking to do right now, by all means, go for it. There’s nothing wrong with playing the field and trying different types of sugar daddies on for size, as long as everyone’s upfront and honest with one another.